Monday 18 September 2017

Shame



An amazing thing has happened since I officially came out of the closet last week. (See my post: SoberMummy's Coming Out).

As well as posting here, I also posted my book cover on my Facebook page.

Now, I didn't think I had any sober friends. I thought all my friends drank (almost) as much as I did. I thought that me going sober would horrify them. That's why I hid for more than two years behind a pseudonym.

But, within hours of posting, several of my friends - from university, from advertising and from the school gate had messaged me privately saying I've given up too. Years ago. Best thing I ever did. Can we get together?

Why, why, why don't we shout about going sober? So we can find each other and support each other. Why do we all struggle on feeling so alone, when we're not?

I think mothers are particularly wary of confessing to having a problem with alcohol. We worry about being seen as bad parents, as terrible examples for our children.

Even more so, mothers who are in the medical or teaching professions, and who counsel patients and students daily about the dangers of alcohol.

Well, if you are a doctor, or a nurse, or a teacher then hear this: YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I get e-mails from doctors, nurses and teachers every single week.

We only feel alone because of the stigma surrounding alcohol addiction.

This makes me mad. And sad.

So, since I'm already out of that closet, and since I've never been one to do things by halves (not bottles of wine, not life), I decided to do a TED talk! On 'making sober less shameful.'

How, I asked myself, does one go about doing a TED talk? Who is TED and what's his e-mail address?

Then, I went to my postbox, and blow me down with a feather, I discovered, amongst the bills and flyers and catalogues, the most extraordinary piece of serendipity: a letter from my old Cambridge college saying We are hosting a TEDx event and are looking for alumnae who are interested in speaking.

So I applied. I wrote 300 words on how and why I want to change the world. Then I had to upload a one minute video of me talking to camera.

I roped in Mr SM.

We recorded many different versions. Some were too long. Some too short. The dog barked during one. This light was wrong in another. It was a nightmare.

Then we recorded one that was just perfect. 

Let me see! I said to Mr SM. He passed me the phone. It WAS perfect. Except for one thing: IT WAS UPSIDE DOWN!

Well, said Mr SM,  at least it'll stand out.

After some more trial and error we did one up the right way, and it's gone off, to TED (wherever he is).

Fingers crossed.

Love SM (Clare)

TO PREORDER SOBERMUMMY'S BOOK CLICK HERE (UK) OR HERE (USA)

18 comments:

  1. Ted Talks are very enlightening glimpses into a subject someone has expertise in, in some capacity or other. I enjoy watching these talks and I couldn't think of a better person to speak and share on this subject! Congrats to you, is there anyway I may view it once it's "out there" in the Ted world? I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your enthusiasm Lia! It's a long shot as they only need ten speakers, but if I make the cut it will be live streamed globally in February. After that it'd be available on YouTube I imagine. But, as I say, a long shot....

      Delete
    2. Long shots are my specialties, I gamble a bit, hahaha!
      Anyway, look forward to hearing what happens down the road.

      Delete
  2. Awesome.
    I was just telling someone my story on Saturday night (at a martini party, no less) and I said some day I would like to give a ted talk.

    Bravo. You are changing the world.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too Anne - maybe we should look at Victoria? Sober Mummy is inspiring us!

      Delete
  3. How strange. How wonderful. How exciting. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how these things seem to fit together into the right pattern ... Well done you!! .. and TED (never heard of them .. Till now :-) Look forward to hearing yours in February (quite certain you will make the cut :-)) You have helped me to change my world along with many more of us, and many more in the future ...of that I am also certain. Happy Days .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be EPIC ! Can't wait to see you on u tube! I love TED - it's my burning ambition to give a talk too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just about tearing up as I read and think about the great new path your sober journey has led you. Who knew!! And who knows what new realms you'll be entering/conquering. You are terrific - generous, supportive, kind, encouraging PLUS funny and smart! A pleasure to have been able to be a (sideline) part of such a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What they all said, except public speaking is definitely not my forte, but I am getting to the stage of being more vocal and open about my sobriety, not caring if some people find it challenging, that says more about them than me. I have met so many people on line, who are just the same as me. I am not the odd one out. Bravo love TED talks, so cannot wait..👏👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool!!! You will nail it I have every faith!!! And I'd didn't know what a TED talk was either?!?! I'm already planning my sober anniversary post on Facebook, only my close friends and family know and because I've kept up the social side of things I think people still think I'm out partying and drinking! ( well I am partying just not drinking!) 2 of my best friends are currently not drinking and I like to think I've partly influenced that!! Can't wait to hear your TED talk ������xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Looking forward to hearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You rock Clare! Plain and simple...you rock! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your life is incredible! I am so delighted to read about your goal and this corresponding opportunity. I hope your submission is chosen, because you are thoroughly right about the absurdity of being ashamed of choosing and needing sobriety.

    In the past few days, I have experienced moments of unmitigated joy (reading your post today was one of those moments), and it occurs to me that I haven't seen that kind of deep-seated, genuine, spine-tingling, head-to-toes glee about anything in YEARS. I'm at day 47, so I know I'm entering a phase that has its perils (The Wall, no?), and I know that there will be difficult times in the future, but I am gobsmacked by my ability to be...happy.

    And your story has helped me get here, and keeps me moving forward.

    It's awesome, and you're awesome, SM.

    -EW, in Phila., PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome too EW! We are ALL awesome! Yay!

      Delete
  12. Awesome! (I've emailed you about something else too) WB xx

    ReplyDelete