Sunday 9 September 2018

An Exciting Week...



I still vividly remember the days (years) when I would wake up at 4am on a Monday morning feeling toxic, filled with dread, or at least ennui, about the week ahead.

Today, I woke up at 4am because I am so excited about this week that I just couldn't stay asleep any longer.

(You may well, at this point, want to give me a virtual punch, in which case I completely understand and I am truly sorry).

Then, I walked out of my bedroom to discover that the dog had thrown up several times on the carpet overnight. What the universe gives with one hand, she takes away with the other.

The first exciting event is that my book is coming out in german. How wunderbar is that? Please tell any of your german friends! You can order a copy here.

You can also buy The Sober Diaries in dutch (here), french (here) and in english (here UK) and (here USA).

Another thrilling, but also terrifying, event this week is that my first novel is being sent out to publishers.

I've been writing and re-writing this book for about six months, and planning it in my head for many, many years, so this feels much like handing round your baby to a bunch of strangers, hoping that they'll look after her and not say yikes, what an ugly infant, take it away!

I dare not tell you much about the book for fear of jinxing it, but I will tell you that one of the main characters is, obviously, an addict. He is deeply flawed but utterly gorgeous, and I am secretly in love with him (don't tell Mr SM).

I'd be hugely grateful if you could send it good vibes! Thank you.

I'm still on a high, too, from the weekend. One of the joys of no longer being anonymous is that I can meet up with other sober revolutionaries in real life, which is what I did on Saturday night, in a really cool bar in Soho.

I met the amazing Jolene Park, who is visiting from the USA. If you haven't yet watched her TEDx talk on Grey Area Drinking, you must. It's here.

Lovely Mandy, from the brilliant LoveSober podcast came too, plus the hugely talented ladies who founded We Are in Good Company, the sober greeting cards business, who are single-handedly taking on all those booze joke cards.

I was there first, and asked for a lime and soda. Every time a new person joined me, also not ordering booze, the waiter looked increasingly confused.

We drank mocktails and hoovered bar snacks for FOUR HOURS, while we laughed till my jaw ached, and the bill came up to twenty pounds a head. Bargain for a Saturday night in the West End! That's what happens when you don't split the bill with the drinkers :-)

Saturday night was, for me, a great reminder that ex-drinkers really are the best people around.

Yesterday, I took Kit to a waterpark with a friend. I was hanging out with a cup of tea, when a lady I'd never met came up to me and said "excuse me, but are you Clare Pooley?" That has never happened to me before. She was reading my book, and recognised me from my TEDx talk.

Needless to say, my kids were thrilled because they now think that I'm going to be on Love Island and I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. Ha Ha. Must practise swanning around in a bikini and eating locusts.

There's loads more information and inspiration, as always, on the SoberMummy Facebook Page ('like' page to stay updated), including a brilliant article on booze and the menopause which is going up this evening.

Huge love to you all!

SM x

19 comments:

  1. Sending good vibes your way!

    "Sober money" is a thing I'm getting very used to! After the first 2 months not drinking I started looking for the bill I'd clearly forgotten to pay due to the extra cash in the bank... there wasn't one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire, here is a Dutchie that is extremely happy about having read your book. I have been wondering what the magic is that gave me the inner conviction, because that is how it feels, to quit drinking. On day 38 now. Unfortunately not sleeping like a baby at all (yet - I hope) so struggling most with fatigue, but sleeping has never been my talent. The bonus for me is having already lost 3 kg of weight. I think what you did was: writing with tons of humor, I laughed a lot, and furthermore - being a mom of three myself - it was so recognizable - you confronted me with myself. How I recognized the waking hours between 3 and 6! Etc. Etc. But also: you gave me light at the end of the expected black tunnel of quitting. You described the positives, the things to be gained, and in my heart I know this to be true. I will certainly buy your new book. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your courage and openness and effort to write the sober diary’s (Chardonnee in Dutch, great title because ‘nee’ means ‘no ‘ ��) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Vibes .. Coming across the wires and through the atmosphere :-) Well Done Clare! I am sure it will be a blockbuster.
    Just beginning to see the weight improvement .. Just starting year 3 .... So I guess we all get the various benefits at different times along the road. Sleep improvement for me was immediate. I know the addiction to biscuits and chocolate in the early days of freedom from alcohol didn't get the weight loss off to a good start!!
    Happy Week :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news SM! Viel Glück mit dem Buch! (If that means something rude, you can blame google translate :/ )

    Love

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I love it! You're a celebrity! Please don't forget your loyal followers now you're all famous etc etc. Seriously though, loved the book, and I will always credit you with having a big hand in me getting sober. Even though it's day 43 of what's probably my third official attempt. I'm seriously getting to that ruddy field of bunnies THIS time! Red xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, really good luck with the book, good vibes coming your way from me. I'm now over 8 months sober, and happier than I've been in years. I've lost a stone, started my own business, and my relationships with my husband and children are so much richer. Thank you Clare for being a key part of my journey. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for you Clare, congratulations on all you have accomplished. Sending good vibes for your novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You journey is getting sober and staying so has been like a shooting star, moving towards the heavens! Best wishes for your new book, can't wait to see it in print!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clare this has made me laugh out loud!!!! And I’m at my daughters tennis lesson so I’ve had a few funny looks!!!! I love that your celebrity status, you so deserve it! And let’s get on love island, we could do “retired lush island!!!!” All together!!!

    I’m so happy for you, you deserve it all and I can’t wait to read your book. Big big big well done hugs xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Clare! Your book changed my life and I am forever grateful. I hit 30 days yesterday, without AA (not that I downplay others that works for) and without a desire to go back. You are an I aspiration and I can't wait to read your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How excellent everything sounds...well...maybe not the dog sick. Cant wait to read the novel. Lucky you having a group of girls to meet for a sober night out. I really struggle finding enough sober mates for a good fun evening out in London. You are an absolutely inspiration to this posh essex girl. Many thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully the novel will be translated to Dutch immediately !

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are an engaging writer, so this one is bound to be a hit too. Can’t wait to hear its release date. You are still my heroine!!
    Enjoy the celebrity glow. Xx Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this post, especially the bit about only spending 20 quid at the bar. Well done on your book coming out in German, the translation is great! As always you are hilariously funny and inspirational. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Claire!
    I loved your book, am reading through your blog and am now on Day 5 (if I last tonight!) which is no mean feat having spent over an hour on the phone with BT, just got to love them! If they aren’t driven to drink after working a day in their call centres, I don’t know who would be, poor chaps. Having not been drinking I was patient and polite, normally I end up in a rage and have to apologise for swearing!
    Thank you for your bravery in starting this blog and writing your book.
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Claire you are my hero! Your book is incredibly inspiring & resonates with me in so may ways. Yesterday was my 48th birthday and my 16th day alcohol free (sav blanc my tipple of choice). I celebrated with a very satisfying Becks Blue. Thank you for sharing your story.

    Extipsytart x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Claire,
    the german translation of your book comes too late for me - I've read it several times in English already. And I love it as it mirrors my personal situation and way to sobriety in many parts. I will recommend the German version to my few sober friends around because the book has been a great revelation and help for me (now all most 7 months sober). As a regular reader of your blog for some time now, I wish you success for the novel. You are an engaging writer, I would love to read the novel soon.

    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your book, but although I'm German I had to read it in English because the German title is... sorry... so stupid. �� It sounds like some cheap romance novel you can buy at the supermarkt counter... They should really change the German title, can't say what the rest of the translation is like... I never would have bought it if I hadn't known your blog...

    ReplyDelete