Friday 24 April 2015

Weeping

Day 54.

I had an odd day yesterday. I was multi-tasking: doing the ironing while catching up on Poldark on the TV, about 11am.

By the way, have you noticed how clean and orderly your house gets when you stop drinking? We ex-drinking enthusiasts often find that cleaning and ironing really help to take your mind off the not drinking thing - it's like a less indulgent version of 'mindfulness' - it keeps you focused on the moment.

Plus, there's a lovely synergy between cleansing everything around you and cleansing yourself. A fresh start. A clean sheet of paper. Right now I'm finding newly laundered bed linen almost exciting as a chilled bottle of Sancerre used to be. How sad is that?

Anyhow, back to the point. There I am, watching telly and ironing the husband's shirts when, a propos of nothing, totally out of the blue, I start weeping. Profusely. And I'm not even sad. Nor is Poldark - he's just discovered copper in his mine and they're all celebrating.

Now, I'm British. I don't do weeping. Stiff upper lip and all that. The only time I remember being this emotional for no apparent reason was shortly after #1 was born. I was a mass of hormones and still in shock from being suddenly propelled into motherhood and it took me two days to get over the scene in Finding Nemo where Nemo's Mum, along with hundreds of his un-hatched siblings, was eaten by a shark.

Yesterday I felt a bit like an onion that's gradually had it's layers peeled away, leaving me all raw and vulnerable. And I was crying because I suddenly felt overwhelmed by emotion. It wasn't bad crying - it was actually rather cathartic.

I've read a lot about how we drink in order to avoid emotions; we're stressed, we drink, we're scared, we drink, we're happy, we drink. As a result, we fail to grow up.

The fabulous Caroline Knapp, author of Drinking, a Love Story, writes 'I'd never really grasped the idea that growth was something you could choose, that adulthood might be less a chronological state than an emotional one which you decide, through painful acts, to both enter and maintain. Like a lot of people I know (alcoholics and not), I'd spent most of my life waiting for maturity to hit me from the outside, as though I'd just wake up one morning and be done, like a roast in the oven.'

And that's so me: a raw chicken wondering when I'm going to get cooked. I still feel like a nineteen year old at heart.

Alcoholrehab.com states that 'Addicts usually struggle when it comes to dealing with their feelings. This is why many of them will have turned to substance abuse in the first place. Alcohol and drugs can provide a temporary escape from unpleasant emotions. These chemicals numb the brain so that the individual feels very little. Once the individual becomes addicted to these substances, they will be unable to mature emotionally. This means that when they become sober, they will still be faced with the problem of dealing with their emotions.'

When we stop drinking we don't mature immediately. It feels as if we have to be 'pared down', or rubbed raw, before we can build ourselves up again, before we can choose to deal with our lives and emotions properly, soberly, and become a real life grown up. A perfectly done roast.

So there I was, all raw and weeping. I felt as if I was looking at myself from a distance, and I'm thinking 'look at you, you ex boozer, sad case weirdo. But, actually, what an inventive use of bodily fluids! Who needs an expensive steam iron? Just weep all over your laundry.'

Have a fabulous Friday everyone.

Love SM x

6 comments:

  1. Hi sm I'm sure it was very cleansing for your soul (not to mention the shirts!!) it must be a natural cycle of the whole mental process of letting go and "grieving" the wine witch and I'm sure a good sign x Have a brilliant weekend I've taken your advice and booked in a much needed hair cut and colour as part of my looking after me !!! Hopefully by tomorrow you can recast the scarecrow part and give me the people of toto as your loyal puppy just a few steps ( or seven days!!) behind you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was meant to say role of toto not people !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think maybe 'grieving' is a good and accurate analogy. My emotions seem to be just 'Dulled'. I wonder of that is actually 'Me' purposely dulling them, because I am afraid of them. Maybe the truth is that I have repressed them for so long that I am terrified to open myself to them?
    I think I need to ponder this further. If I dare. I hope you have a lovely weekend SM x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear SM,
    I sure get the clean sheets thing!! LOL
    So true about growing up and emotions.
    Each day I don't drink, I learn more about life and myself than I ever had.
    I feel like I am finally maturing, in a good way!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi SM. Grieving is a good thing. You obviously had to get it all out. Maybe that's what I should do! I'm the opposite though. I tend to bottle everything inside. I dread the day when it all becomes too much and I explode. Congrats on day 54! A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never got that cleaning bug. But I understand the rest!

    ReplyDelete