Sunday 20 August 2017

The Disease of 'More'

I've just started reading the fabulous collection of essays and observations by Marian Keyes called Making It Up as I Go Along.

I have a huge girlie crush on Marian Keyes. She's a brilliant author, but also an addict who, many years ago, after 'becoming rather too fond of the Jacob's Creek,' ended up in rehab.

This inspired her poignant, yet hilarious, novel about an alcohol and cocaine addict - Rachel's Holiday. If you haven't read it yet, then lucky you, you have a treat in store. Buy it now!

Marian describes addiction as 'the disease of more.' She talks about how, when she finds anything that she really likes, she just wants more. Not just alcohol, but also nail varnish, fake tan and box sets (amongst many other addictions).

That is so me.

Marian talks about how all of these addictions trigger familiar addict behaviour.

For example, she loves eyelash extensions. When she hadn't had her eyelashes done for a while she would get irritable and tetchy.

Knowing that you were supposed to give your eyelashes a break after six months of extensions she would rotate beauty parlours and lie about how often she was going.

Eventually she had to face up to her addiction, confess to her beautician and go cold turkey.

Having just returned home after a three week family holiday in Cornwall I can totally identify with Marian's disease of 'more.'

I'm going cold turkey after a horrific (yet totally enjoyable) sugar binge.

When I first quit drinking I turned to cake. It was the lesser of two evils. Sugar was a completely necessary food group.

Eventually, as life evened out, I cut right down on the white stuff, lost two stone, and now I only eat sugary things as a special treat.

When most people would have a glass of champagne, I binge on sugar. When I finished my cancer treatment, instead of downing a bottle of vino I ate two whole boxes of Matchmakers (mint and orange flavour). In about ten minutes flat.

Going on holiday is also a cause for celebration, so during our first week away I treated myself to a Cornish ice-cream every day. It gave me a total buzz.

By week two, the ice cream on its own just wasn't cutting it any longer. I added in a few Cornish Fareings (large ginger biscuits) a day, plus a handful of honeycomb fudge.

By week three I was supplementing with cream teas - scones with lashings of jam and clotted cream.

The disease of 'more' had got me good and proper.

I haven't dared to stand on the scales, but know things are bad as #3 asked if I was "growing a baby."

I was relieved, and grateful, when #1 said "Don't be silly, #3", but then she ruined it by adding "Mummy's far too old for that!"

Great. Fat and old.

So now I'm back in my reserved seat on the familiar waggon. And it's such a relief.

Please feel free to share your holiday sins in the comments below. There's no judgement here.

Love SM x

9 comments:

  1. 389 days sober, just back from Poland where it was cheaper to have herbal tea with alcohol than without! Which meant my money saving streak was sorely tempted. I gave in to Polish sausage, have eaten so much pork I feel I should grow a curly tail. Got back home and am now NHS categorised as overweight, we in the normal BMI band before. But am still sober

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ang7521 August 2017 at 00:06
    I can so relate to this!! I'm trying to focus my addictive nature on exercising everyday and it seems to be working! BUT is pigging out and letting loose not what holidays are about!?!?! I tried to be good when we went away in June and go to the hotel Gym everyday but I also drank a lot of creamy cappuccinos and ate a huge pudding every night! The old me would have pigged out on food and booze and it would not have been pretty?!?!? And don't forget cream scones are compulsory in Cornwall!! :-) xxxxx also coffee, don't forget the lovely coffee!!! Definitely a new addiction for me that I will not be giving up!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup - exactly me!! Just back from holiday and well and truly embraced our families ice cream a day rule! My sober anniversary is fast approaching (yeah!) and my commitment to myself is now to look at my Becks Blue and Seedlip intake and my sugar! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are all the same because that's exactly me as well! My holiday treat is eating big bars of chocolate in bed. Am also partial to ice cream and bags of sweets in the car - I know it's got to stop though but I can't seem to get a grip. Glad to see I'm not alone

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am on vacation right now! I have given myself a license to eat!!! I think I can actually feel my stomach growing! My skin hurts....yet I can't stop! I too am a "more, more, more" girl!!! I am looking forward to stopping next week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. Pics or it didn't happen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe that's where it all starts! Sugar addiction comes first then it progresses to alcohol! It makes complete sense. Thing is I don't want to give up sugar completely as there are so many lovely things with it in - like salted caramel ice cream (my fav) & scones with jam and cream (Balthazar in Covent garden make the best ones with buttermilk). Listen to me ffs... I obviously sound like an addict!! Thank god I laid the booze to rest over 18 months ago. Nevertheless the addiction mentality is hard one to shake! Now I'm stuck with a couple others too. Namely Amazon and Sugar for starters. I've got an antidote though at least for the sugar addiction and the gimme more syndrome ... glutamine.. take a couple of capsules before/after the sugar fest. It'll stop cravings in their tracks. You have a o remember to take it though!!

    ReplyDelete