Tuesday 10 January 2017

Run For Your Life

If you can't fly then run; if you can't run then walk; if you can't walk then crawl; but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.

MARTIN LUTHER KING

One of the things that really helped me when I first quit drinking, and has now become the mainstay of my daily routine, is walking.

I did flirt briefly with running (see my posts: Strong Women Don't Drink and Running and Insomnia), but came to the realisation that I am not built for speed, and a brisk walk suits me better.

I found that walking, preferably amongst green stuff - in parks and along rivers, not only got me away from the fridge and all the wine associations, but lifted my mood and helped me to see things more clearly.

(I know I'm not alone in this. Many former addicts talk about how crucial running - or walking - was to their recovery, Lucy Rocca, the founder of Soberistas, for example and Cheryl Strayed, author of Wild).

I'd take the terrier with me and, over time, built up a squad of dog owning friends who'd join in. I found that the conversations we'd have during an hour long walk were way more wide ranging and life enhancing than any drunken ramblings at parties, and the quality of my friendships improved immeasurably.

This is why I love the book just published by Penguin: Run For Your Life by William Pullen. William is an incredible psychotherapist, is terribly fit and also happens to be rather gorgeous. (Plus he's an old friend of mine).

William's book is all about Dynamic Running Therapy which is inspired by mindfulness and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

William explains how and why running (or walking!), and being outdoors in nature, positively impact on our mental wellbeing and he shows how you can harness this power, either on your own or with a friend, to solve problems, deal with stress or anxiety and make changes.

It's incredible how the solution to a seemingly insurmountable problem can come to you when you're out walking or running.

This is, William argues, because the act of movement helps us to connect with feelings hidden deep inside and can lead to incredible moments of illumination.

Interestingly, many authors talk about walking to relieve 'writer's block'. They find that it helps to unleash creativity in a way that sitting, staring at a screen, can never do.

It's also much easier to discuss your problems with a friend when you are both moving (and therefore avoiding eye contact) than it is when you're sitting staring at each other, which is why William's book includes therapeutic exercises you can try in pairs as well as on your own.

So do check out William's book by clicking here, or his free App here, and get moving. It really can change your life.

Love SM x





21 comments:

  1. Like you, I am a walker (2 dogs. A mad springer spaniel and a collie/springer cross) but think I could be a runner but only on a treadmill. i have very damaged ankles and fall very often on slightly uneven surfaces as there is no give in my joints. I know that I always feel much better after a good long brisk walk and I used to feel great after running on the treadmill until it broke and I cannot afford to replace or repair it. There is definitely something about being outdoors and exercising that can't help but promote good health and good mental health. I will check out the book for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So True SM. I have booked dog walking coffee dates this week as a way to lose the wine belly and not think about drinking wine.
    TWTIK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true, walking is like a meditation. Motion has always helped me through difficult times and walking the trails in the forest is like a rebirth when you get clogged down with stuff. I'm over 4 months now, and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walking is great! I love it-I was a runner for years and what I love about both is that it becomes rhythmic. I love being outside and conscious of the energy of the trees and water if I happen to be by a lake. At times I go with friends or my S/O (although he needs to go slower and flatter) Other times I put my earbuds on and listen to my favorite mantras. It feels cleansing. I also get a natural dose of vitamin D! I truly believe there is a healing energy in nature and it's so easy to tap into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is extremely cold where I live (-40 C today).
    I enjoy a walk in the summer, but I quit drinking in December and it was cold!

    Maybe that why I like yoga. It provides a safe way to spend some of my spare time.
    Mindful practice can be found in so many places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy life ! Where can it possibly -40C (would that burn your skin) Sounds like Alaska. Mum and Dad lived in Canada (Kingston) for about a year and said you had to take extreme precautions eg if you car broke down etc
      That is super cold Anne.
      Michelle x

      Delete
  6. Yes, walking has been my saving grace. But now my knees are playing up so have to resort to bike riding or swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love walking, and try to get out most days. Its cold here too (Anne will be laughing at me), just a mere -6C, but it clears my head.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and I totally agree about the benefits of walking/running in recovery. I also wrote a similar blog post - hope you don't mind me sharing (my blog is occasionally a bit sweary) - https://soberpunks.co.uk/2017/01/01/how-to-grab-2017-by-the-balls/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've definitely started running and exercising more since giving up the booze. I used to run/exercise on and off before depending on how much I was drinking. But I'm now doing a run or an exercise DVD every day and enjoying it!!

    Exercise for me is like therapy, I always feel much calmer and less stressred afterwards. And it always reminds me how good it feels to be sober and not just sat around or dragging myself through the day with a hangover!!!

    Day 52 for me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a runner. I have a love/hate relationship with it but I do it 3x per week with a few girlfriends. I like it before I go, hate it while doing it, and love it when I'm done! hahaha! I have downloaded the app and will tell my running group about it as well. I have been wanting to be "mindful" but don't really succeed at it. Maybe this app will help me! Thanks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish i could run but i just can't! Love walking! Especially out in the fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you know there is now a Becks Blue Lemon? Must try it as it sound quite refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh that sounds like a lovely drink for the summer! Xx

      Delete
  13. Hope this isn't TMI but I read your post while sitting in my underwear after work desperately trying to talk myself into going for a run. January seems have made my 'just do it' mantra fly out of the window. Anyway, huge thanks for your post because I bloody well did 'just do it' and feel massively better for it. Flossie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Timely reminder :-) We are doing a serious 2 and 5 diet for January and a brisk walk will surely help. Over 100 days so looking for the weight loss bonus ... Best help it along thinks I. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love brisk dog walking and do at least one good power walk whilst listening to podcasts every day whatever the weather! To be fair, it's a balmy 4 degrees with me, not -40!! Since going AF have resumed treadmill running 4/5 times per week. Work colleague asked me today if I'd lost weight! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, running/jogging - something I found late in life, but have learned to enjoy. I'm slow but I'm still a runner. I highly recommend - No Need for Speed - A Beginners Guide for Running by John Bingham. He has a bunch of books including a well titled "The Courage to Start", but No Need for Speed is my favorite. Using it as motivation I've run more than 25 half marathons (20K sounds better) and two full marathons (they take too much time IMHO both to run and train at my speed). He also has one just for ladies with his wife/running coach. But the one I give to my friends is No Need for Speed - a good slogan for an Eeyore!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Walking each day with my dogs helped keep me away from the Fridge and the beer and wine that was in it. Now it is down the drain but there is a lot to say about walking that's for sure xxx
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was timely - I've just this minute returned from a bracing and extremely windy walk! I love it, and try to get out most days as it's extremely therapeutic (I prefer it in the summer sunshine though!). x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post - I will check out your friend's book. This year I've joined up for the #walk1000miles 2017 challenge. You pledge to WALK 1000 miles in 2017. This works out as 2.5 miles a day. They have an amazingly supportive FB (closed) group. The whole challenge is being promoted by Country Walking magazine. I've been doing it for two weeks now and feel so much better and happier :)

    ReplyDelete